[openbeos] OBOS - To have java or not to have java?

  • From: "Bryan Varner" <bman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:17:16 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page

This may be something for the GE mailing list, but I think it pertains
to this one as well. Here's why.

As many of you may know, there was at one point a community effort to
port Sun's Java Virtual Machine to BeOS R5.
I contacted Clay Atkins (port lead) eairlier this fall after the Palm
announcement, but long before BeUnited got the 'no' response.

He stated that the main reason (and apparently the only reason) that
they had stopped working on the port was because of the uncertainty of
the future of the BeOS. To quote Mr. Atkins, "I think if we started on
it from where we left off, it'd take about 3 more months to complete.
Most of the remaining work is playing with makefiles."

Since we now know the future of the BeOS, and now that OBOS has started
to move along, I think there should be some support given to Clay and
his teams efforts to port the Java VM. If we get them to complete it
for R5, that will directly benefit OBOS on down the road. They were
mostly concerned about spending time on something that wouldn't have
any life-span. Should they finish it for R5, a re-port to OBOS
shouldn't be very difficult, and their efforts wouldn't be wasted.

Yes, I know how a lot of people feel about java, but it would bring a
lot of apps from a lot of different places.

Because I know that the port is already over half done, and that it
could be released for R5, I figured I'd post this here. I also guess
I'm hoping more people will contact Clay about finishing the port. I
don't have his info any more (HD crashed a while back) and I can't
remember his site off-hand. Perhaps someone else remembers?

Basically I think if it were explained that OBOS will be here, and it
will be R5 source compatible, they might be willing to finishe it. If
not, why not beg him to hand over what he's got? You could probably
work out a deal with Sun, and have it included in any disto of OBOS,
and merge it in as another 'kit'.

Like I said, this may be a GE topic, but since the port is already over
half finished for R5, if it gets done before OBOS R1 is, I see no
reason not to include it if a deal can be made with Sun.

-Bryan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.