[haiku] Re: Notebook suggestions

  • From: Philip Rushik <prushik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku General <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 00:52:29 +0900

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > since my old notebook seems to finally have booked that long planned
> > vacation on the farm...
> > Does anyone have suggestions for a Haiku supported high quality modern
> notebook?
> >
> > I'd like to have a 15" non-glaring panel with min. 1680x1050 resolution.
> > It should be cool and quiet with oomph when needed.
>
> It's not a 15" notebook (it's 14.1), but I recently picked up a
> System76 Galago UltraPro (it's essentially a "rebranded" Clevo
> W740SU), and Haiku runs on it fairly well for my needs, and is totally
> quiet, unless you really hit the CPUs.  Last night was the first time
> I heard the fans fire up, but that was because I was running Deep
> Fritz 14 running on all its cores.
>
> https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1
>
> The pros:
>
> - Headphones and speakers work.  The microphone may work, but I
> haven't tested it yet.
> - Wired ethernet works
>
> The cons:
>
> - Touchpad buttons don't work.  The touchpad itself works, and you can
> do tap-to-click to get around the issue, or else plug in a wireless
> mouse like I do.
> - Wireless adapter doesn't work.  I suspect the Intel 7260 will get
> support in FreeBSD 10.1 or 10.2, and then we can have support shortly
> thereafter.
> - While you get the full 1920x1080 resolution, it is VESA, seeing as
> we don't have Intel Iris Pro support at the moment.  I personally
> don't see VESA as an issue though, as it's full HD.  For my use case,
> it is fine.
>
> For me, the laptop works perfectly for what I need.  I may see if I
> can throw a different wifi card in, although I suspect like most
> modern BIOSes, there is a whitelist for allowed adapters.  I'm going
> to open up the laptop in the next day or two to put in a hard drive
> (in addition to the 1 TB SSD), so I'll see how possible switching the
> wifi card is.
>
> Like Ingo, I was also looking at the Lenovo T440S, but ultimately
> decided to go with the System76 system, due to me being irritated at
> the direction Lenovo is going, seeing as they have pretty much ruined
> my beloved TrackPoint in recent iterations. I also felt the i7 they
> put in the system would be a bit weak, given it's a dual core model.
>
> I'm working on getting Windows 7, OS X, PC-BSD, Linux, and Haiku to
> run on the UltraPro, but I still have to work through bootloader
> issues or else just give up and virtualize an OS or two.  OS X is also
> a bit wonky until I get some kexts installed, whereupon hopefully I
> get it in a "it's good enough" kind of state.  My hopes that this
> computer would mostly be seen as a rMBP by OS X wasn't totally
> realistic, it seems.  :)
>
> In any case, if you need any more information about the Galago
> [...]
The idea behind System76 is great, but I would never recommend one. I have
an old "Pangolin Performance" and within a few months of my purchase I had
two serious hardware failures (Hard drive, and RAM). The hard drive failure
was a real failure, not file system corruption. System76 was happy to
replace the hard drive for me, but all my data was gone, and my RAM failed
while I was on a business trip, which was a disaster. Never had another
machine fail that badly, and it was so soon after purchase.
After replacing both the hard drive and RAM, it runs well. It really is a
fine machine, but I question where they are getting these components.
However, last time I tested it, it ran Haiku well, although I never could
get the sound card to work right, that's probably fixed now.

--Philip