[haiku] Re: Non-commercial code: Was: Haiku User Groups

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:03:54 -0700

> <tunetracker@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> One thing I do need to be sure about fairly soon is whether that Haiku will
>> indeed be distributable.  I don't plan to charge anything for the operating
>> system, but I do need to be able to include a copy of it on the computer.
>
> Yes, it is. The only thing that's at issue here is whether or not you
> can use the trademark in the process, but just distributing it is very
> much allowed by the license.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rene

Well, we probably also need to do a review of all the various licenses
involved with the OptionalPackages and any outside sources that are
built into Haiku as there might be a few that limit commercial
distributions.  For those parts we should make it more clear that they
have this restriction.  I recall seeing this in at least one of the
license files but don't recall which ones.

Here's a search of the source, which turns up 30 hits, and this
doesn't check all of the OptionalPackages.
http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/search?q=non-commercial&defs=&refs=&path=&hist=

PDFLib for example...  and even some old Be code... perhaps we could
get permission from the original authors to update the license on
these files?

-scottmc