[openbeos] Re: Non Profit Tax Deductions

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:35:18 +0200 CEST

"brianhague" <brianhague@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cant we just make an international NPO in AU with
> the US Haiku being the mother company?

IANAL, but ..

What you need is a -national- NPO in AU, if possible.

Tax law is national rather than inter-national, so you'd
probably need a legal NPO entity in each country where
your members want to deduct donations off their taxes.

Look at organizations such as the Red Cross. There's
usually a national entitiy, interfacing an international
entity.

The U.S. are a special-case, sort of, as the umbrella
orgs are often local to the US. (like the United Nations)

FWIW, I don't think donations to NPOs are not tax-deductible
in Sweden. NPOs don't have to pay tax on their assets though,
IIRC. But it depends on the specific kind of legal entity chosen.
Foundation is one possibility. It's more rigid and stable than a
union. A foundation and a union working together, perhaps.

But, like I said, I am not a lawyer. :P

(feel free to spell out any errors)

/Jonas Sundström.                    www.kirilla.com