[openbeos] No backseat drivers allowed

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:41:21 CDT

This recent thread about how OpenBFS should handle dying hard drives is
really starting to anger me and I'll tell you why. Too many people on
the list (and elsewhere) are unreserved about loudly demanding features
-- these same people do not offer to help make the feature a reality.

Look folks, this is an open source project manned by volunteers.
OpenBeOS will never be anything more or less than what the contributors
make it. Axel is working very hard and for no more reward than the
satisfaction of helping a cause that he believes in. He is not the
personal servant of anyone else on this list. And my complaint doesn't
just apply to the thread about OpenBFS -- this applies to any number of
other threads on this list where I've seen people vehemently demand
that certain features be implemented or implemented a certain way.

Well, here's a reality check for you. Nobody has the right to "demand"
anything. You may politely request feature X from the developers who
are working in that area. If they don't agree with your points, and
you're passionate about your POV, then join the programming team and
make feature X happen yourself. If you're not willing to do that, then
shut up!

I am sick of people sitting on the sidelines, barking out demands for
those who actually are doing the work. Of course people can make
suggestions. All suggestions are welcome. But do so politely. And
respect whatever answer is given. Remember, no one "owes" you shit. If
you're so determined that your way is the right way, then put your
keyboard where your mouth is and starting coding a solution. Otherwise,
back off.

I realize that the tone is this message is very harsh, but I make no
apologies for it. I'm not going to stand for people who are doing
nothing to be allowed to bitch, moan, and gripe at those who are
actually doing something. If need be, I'll start mailing people who are
doing this off-list and give them an earful -- and trust me, I can
swing hard. Cut it out now!