[openbeos] Re: News and newbies

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:32:13 +0000

"Bill Beebe" <wbeebe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm not looking to lead. I was leaning more towards the kernel, but I'll
>look at the media kit.

I appreciate this very much.

Currently, the media kit team only consists of two people,
me and Anthony Quinn, from whom I heared last time in
september, when he was very busy doing non-coding
stuff. I now contacted him to ask if he has free time to
help us.

Until now, I created a libmedia.so replacement
that is BINARY COMPATIBLE, but without functionality.
It can be loaded by apps, and even libgame.so
succesfully loads it. Every function prints a debugging
message to stdout, so you can see that it works.

There is no real functionality yet, but it shows that
out approach of binary compatibility is correct.

It is already in CVS, but you will need some
R3 media kit headers to compile it.
I'm also not sure if it is legal to put original Be
header into CVS. So they are still missing.

Now the servers need to be implemented,
the manage for example the BMediaNodes,
and the data buffers handling, and anything else.
I already started investigating this, using BMessages
the time to send a message from libmedia.so to
the server applicaion, and wait for the reply message
beeing send back, is somewhere betweeen 0.7 and
2ms.

I would really be good if someone else (you?)
could join and support the media kit team.

regards
Marcus, Media Kit team leader :-)