[haiku] Re: New website theme: request for testing/feedback/icons

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 15:02:01 -0700

Hi Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Hi Jorge,

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been working little by little on the new theme for the website, and I have now put it online for testing at the following URL:

http://test.haikuzone.net
[...]
2) Added icon-based navigation links (top right) for login and create new account when the user is logged out, and logout, user profile and add content when the user is logged in. There are also common links that appear on every page that point to the website contact form and the donate page. Icons have an 80% opacity by default that becomes 100% on mouse hover.

Nice pig! :-)
But in general, I think the different background color (even if it seems to be the default desktop background color) doesn't look right there, and kind of destroys the great visuals of the rest of the site. Is there any reason to have an extra background there at all?

The (different) background color for those icons is basically to visually group the icons under a common navigation element. Without that background, the icons look like visually floating (as can be seen in the very rough screenshot below):

http://haikuzone.net/images/2009-08-22_link-icons_no-bg.png

Admittedly, the background color could be improved, so that it does not interfere with the page background. Will try to work a it a bit more.

BTW the right upper corner of the side column looks strange, as well as the missing pixel on the left/right top corner of the "What's new in Haiku development" box.

Both top corners of the side boxes have a small radius. What are you looking it this with and at what resolution? I may need to increase the radius a bit so that it is more obvious.

With regards to the tabbed box, Stippi had already pointed it out, but I still need to look into it.

3) Added pulldown menus: hover over the "About-1" menu link to see what it looks like.

Not sure we need those, and I don't really like transparency in menus, but that might just be me.

Preferences aside, I think the pulldown menus provide faster access to the important pages within the website. They may not be as important in the front page (as most of the pages are already linked from there), but they would still be very useful in the rest of the pages. I am inclined to keep them for this reason, but would like to hear from more people before I make a call. The transparency will be removed (I don't like it either). :)

Thanks for testing!

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki