[openbeos] Re: New icons

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:46:30 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à Nikola Pizurica <pizurica@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>  > http://mc.clintock.com/first_floor/study_1/desk/computer_proje
>  > cts/icons/BeOS_PNG.tgz
>
> These icons are original in SVG (vector) format. I managed to get them
>
> on BeShare, together with SVG viewer.
> Since Tracker in Zeta will use SVG icons, we will see all of them in
> Zeta.

You can see them already in action:
http://clapcrest.free.fr/revol/beos/shot_Zeta_002.png
http://clapcrest.free.fr/revol/beos/shot_Zeta_003.png
(note the volume icons aren't replaced yet, that's why they are aliased.

Btw on a related GUI topic, I urge every coder not to hardcode RGB values
for things like panel background and such...
There is a documented way to get it, rtfm ui_color() in InterfaceDefs.h
so please, use it will avoid your app to look like a patchwork when the
system colors are changed from default, like it's possible in Zeta, and
surely will in OBOS.

Caching them in your prog is good, but using ui_color() on the fly won't
increase much drawing time, and makes your app react on the fly to color
changes, that's both nice and easy to do, and users will thank you for
this. :)

That is of course valid for pref apps in OBOS and every gui code, we
should be the example to follow :)

something like
void Myview::Draw(BRect u)
{
  rgb_color colPanelBg = ui_color(B_PANEL_BACKGROUND_COLOR);
  rgb_color colText = { 0, 0, 0, 255 }; // here there isn't an R5-defined
          // one, but we shurely will, and it's simpler to patch a line later
          // then search and replace everywhere =) and those who want to
          // support Zeta can already do:
#ifdef B_BEOS_VERSION_DANO // at least R5.1
  colText = ui_color(B_PANEL_TEXT_COLOR);
          // btw the Dano/Zeta ui_color() support is way better than in R5,
          // I think we should head this way in OBOS.
#endif
SetHighColor(colPanelBg);
}

François.