[haiku] Re: New alpha?

  • From: Jaroslav Šmíd <dataman64bit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:46:42 +0100

That's not true. Like I said, this is not only about physical memory. Is is also about virtual memory available for the app, you have twice as much GPRs, twice as much XMM registers, guaranteed SSE2 (which has to be detected during runtime by x86 apps and then make expensive indirect calls to optimized functions). Compiler can better optimize your code by making less memory accesses, ... PAE is just a "hack" to have more physical memory for whole system. And no, don't say "twice as much memory for pointers" as that can be true, but not neccessarly - in long mode, one can use relative-to-RIP addresses, compilers can make use of it and so not all addresses will take more memory.

On 02/19/2011 06:27 AM, Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr. wrote:
really there is no need for 64 bit when you build pae into the kernel.

2011/2/18 Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Jaroslav Šmíd Jaroslav Šmíd <dataman64bit@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:dataman64bit@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
     > I feel very sad that you continue to make x86-32 version
     > in times when every desktop CPU out there is x86-64.

    We'll get there eventually. In the meantime the x86-64 CPUs
    are capable of running 32-bit Haiku.

    Haiku might get better performance in 64-bit mode, but if there's
    anything holding Haiku back, hardware/performance-related, it's the
    lack of drivers unlocking the full potential of modern graphics cards.

    Even without it I'm pretty happy with Haiku's performance. :)

    /Jonas.

--
-----

"Breath Deeply and Dream"