[haiku] Re: New USB hard drive - Haiku 100% success, Mac 50% success, Windows 0% succecss

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:23:38 +0200

Hi,

> Anyhow, just wanted to report a Haiku success story.  It handled the
> matter
> more gracefully than the other 2 desktop OS's.  The biggest irony is that
> the market leader still isn't able to find the external device, which
> happens to have its native file format and autorun structure.  Young Haiku
> has the best end-user experience (in my particular scenario).

Cool. Just keep in mind that NTFS support could shredder your disk if you mount
the partition read/write. I believe Axel or Ingo gave some warning about the
NTFS support in Haiku a while back. If memory serves, it had something to do
with the locking and syncing implementation.

On a similar note, I find the meta-data support in Windows 7 very
disappointing. You can now add a whole bunch of meta-data columns to the folder
list view of your movies for example, and a lot of the columns are filled out
automatically, like Width/Height and so on. But for the live of me I cannot
figure out how to freaking change the Rating of a movie (and other attributes
with no automatic value). It appears this needs to be embedded in the file
somewhere for it to work, but why can't I just change the rating right in the
Explorer? I even googled this, but nothing turned up. In Haiku I would have no
problem to set this all up and be searchable as well. (Although some of the
automatic setting of attributes is still missing.) Too bad I need the drive to
be readable from other platforms.

Best regards,
-Stephan