[haiku] New USB hard drive - Haiku 100% success, Mac 50% success, Windows 0% succecss

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:09:52 +1100

Morning / afternoon / evening

I've just purchased a USB external harddrive (WD Elements), and it has a
single NTFS formatted 320Gb partition with the usual autorun folder with a
WD logo.

Haiku mounted the NTFS formatted drive like a champ, a simple warning about
writing to foreign file systems, and I was up and running in no time.  Full
read/write support.

Mac OSX Snow Leopard mounted the NTFS file system in read-only mode.  Needed
to install a 3rd party ntfs mounter which enables write support (or use fuse
and ntfs-3g).  Not exactly simple for casual users, but doable if you
understand the problem.

Windows XP (SP3) - I still haven't been able to get the device to mount on
my Windows box.  It mounts on my girlfriends box without any problems, but
on my PC it simply wont show up.  I've been searching the net for hours
trying to figure this one out.  I know that there is a configuration option
on my PC which is causing the problem, but I still haven't discovered it.
 Long ago I disabled autorun functionality,

Anyhow, just wanted to report a Haiku success story.  It handled the matter
more gracefully than the other 2 desktop OS's.  The biggest irony is that
the market leader still isn't able to find the external device, which
happens to have its native file format and autorun structure.  Young Haiku
has the best end-user experience (in my particular scenario).

Cheers.
Zenja