[haiku] Re: New OSnews Article on Haiku.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:08:29 +0100

Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But
> anyway, security is probably something that Haiku hasn't focused on
> that much I'm guessing... is there yet sufficient process separation
> in the kernel? Can processes be run with reduced privileges?

While there are almost certainly bugs in that area, POSIX security is
pretty much implemented at kernel level. However, since a) you usually
run as root, and b) the user-level services, as well as ports are
completely insecure, you don't really gain a lot from that :-)

Real security won't happen for R1, also simply because there will be
lots of API changes involved to make this not a pain to use.

Bye,
   Axel.