[haiku] Re: New MediaPlayer look

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:14:26 -0400

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM,  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've found no rationale.  Sometimes I'll boot the machine and audio is
> fine; other times it will be silent on boot.  Then it'll first be fine
> and go silent later.  The 'silent' part seems to be 90% of the time,
> actually.
>
> I realize this is a known problem, but am I just unlucky or is it
> still happening to others?  (The old laptop is OSS, but the Dell is
> hda, and the ICH system it uses seems to be fully recognized, according
> to the syslog.)

I've noticed this problem 2 or 3 times now in Virtualbox 3.2.8 running
recent revisions including 38589. (The first time or two it was right
after installing, and I thought I'd messed up the install, so I just
reinstalled and it coincidentally worked again.)

This time the sound was working and then stopped. Eventually the sound
came back on, but it persisted through 2 restarts. I'm not sure if it
was just an odd virtualbox bug, or the same bug you're having trouble
with.

I was playing an audio track fine, then it stopped working when I
tried to play a video... I tried the audio that I'd just been playing,
and it didn't work. I checked the volume etc... restarted... still
nothing. Restarted again... still wasn't working, but then a minute
later it just came back on again (I had the audio playing but no sound
was coming out... then the audio suddenly resumed).

I don't like testing in virtualbox because I'm always unsure of
whether the problem is with Haiku or with Virtualbox, but until my
Wifi works again, I don't have much choice.