[haiku] Re: New MediaPlayer look

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:29:29 +0200

-- Stephan Assmus, on Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:54:55 +0200:
> Am 10.09.2010 19:35, schrieb Humdinger:
> > Why is the time to the right of the slider not a simple plain_font?
>
> Because you may want to see it from a slightly larger distance than
> usual? It just looked better.

I see. Not my usage pattern, but never mind, I was just wondering.

> > It'd be nice to have some sort of scale-divisions in the slider.
> > Depending on the length of the clip maybe every minute, 5 minutes,
> > 10
> > minutes.
>
> I really think this is pointless clutter. How would you know what the
> divisions mean?

I imagined, since I know I'm listening to a few minutes long song,
those were minute-markers, or watching a 45 minute series, those would
be 5-min-markers, or when it's a 2-hour movie, those are 10-min-
markers.

But I concede your point, it may not be really that useful.
All the more, as the nice pristine progress bar lends itself to an
actually useful feature we've talked about a while back. See
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Adding-attributes-to-media-files-with-MediaPlayer-volume-etc,
files-with-MediaPlayer-volume-etc,
9
(Mind you, the volume-discussion that started that thread is also
interesting!)

In short:
 * Allow user set chapter points (that are marked in the progress bar
and can be jumped to).
 * Always set a last_position point (that is marked in the progress bar
and can be jumped to) when closing a file

I think I'll file a more detailed ticket for that.

What do you guys think of in/out-points to start/end playback? Those
could be set with the half-moon controls like in SoundRecorder. Which
would also take care of the bit awkward display when the slider-knob is
at the very end of MediaPlayer's progress bar.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de