[haiku] Re: New MediaPlayer look

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:54:55 +0200

Am 10.09.2010 19:35, schrieb Humdinger:
-- Stephan Assmus, on Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:23:05 +0200:
I am glad that I receive some positive feedback on the new look. At
first I heard from
people who liked the old look better, which irritated me a bit, to be
honest. ;-)

To also be honest, when I took a first look at the posted screenshot, I
too thought, "Oh nooos! The nice green divisioned sliders are gone. The
buttons are so big and pointy...". But I pretty much got over it. :)

A few things, while my exposure is still fresh, if you don't mind:

Why is the time to the right of the slider not a simple plain_font?

Because you may want to see it from a slightly larger distance than usual? It just looked better.

The slider width changes when toggling the time display. It'd be nicer
if the max. size of the time string was considered.

That's of course how I had it at first. Since movies usually play for over an hour, there would be too much empty space for songs for example. Of course one could consider the maximum time of the current clip only, not some fixed width which would accomodate any clip. But then the slider would still potentially jump from one clip to the next.

The distance between slider and buttons below it should be the same as
at the top between slider and menu. At the moment the slider-knob is
counted into the slider height.

It was on my list.

The top of the slider-knob triangle doesn't point exactly to the
progress-line of the slider, but one pixel to the left of it.

Nitpicking pain in the behind, you are. It did hurt my eyes as well, and it's actually a BSlider "bug". The triangle is one pixel off to the left because of the shadow. So one would have to draw the divider with a one pixel offset from where it actually should be...

It'd be nice to have some sort of scale-divisions in the slider.
Depending on the length of the clip maybe every minute, 5 minutes, 10
minutes. That may help to judge the time when scrubbing through a clip.
In general, I did like the divisions of the old MediaPlayer interface
very much.

I really think this is pointless clutter. How would you know what the divisions mean? Most songs are below 5 minutes, so they'd have to be different depending on the clip (as you say), which makes them unpredictable and therefor useless, IMHO.

Have you considered using a slight glassy effect in the slider (as with
BButtons) instead of the gradient? Also, I'm not sure the button labels
gain too much by being gradient filled.

The glassy effect is for surfaces curved "outward". The slider background is curved "inward".

The green of the old MediaPlayer interface was less flashy, which I'd
prefer. And I think, I'd like a similarly green tinted progress-slider
better...

I think the old green was too dull.

In the "File info" window (mind the capitalization), the "Location"
could do without the "file://" and being a link to the file's folder.

That whole window shall be reworked soon.

Many of these points are of course a matter of taste. :)
Tell me if you'd prefer to have them as tickets, BTW.

No need. :-)

Thanks for you great media playback improvements!

Happy to be of service! :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan