[openbeos] Re: Networks Preferences

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:04:50 +0200

Hi Dario,

Casalinuovo Dario wrote:
> i suggest to use this structure for the locations/networks settings : a
> root directory containing an index file with location names written
> inside each location has a directory (contained in the root) which name
> is the same of the location's
> in the location directory every network has a configuration file.

This leaves a lot of questions unanswered. I think you should not worry too
much about the on-disk storage for now. You need to design a small
framework of C++ classes that implement the settings representation and
modification. Maybe I find sometime later to give you an example of what I
mean. You could re-use the BArchivable protocol to store the settings as
BMessages on-disk later. Since these are hierarchical, there is nothing you
can't save using archived BMessages. Separate from that, you need to store
only the *current* settings in the format that the net_server needs to
understand. The current settings do not need to reflect the structure of
locations, unless I am overlooking something.

> about the icon deskbar functionality,
> i noticed a desktop applet named "NetworkStatus", that displays
> information about the networks.
>
> can i modify it and add to the menu a voice that open the Network preflet?
>
> and in the preflet, when the checkbox is marked,is this applet opened?

Yes, modifying that context menu to be able to open the Network preflet
would be appreciated. Launching another application can be done via the
BRoster::Launch() function, you just need to know that applications
signature.

Best regards,
-Stephan