[openbeos] Re: Networking Wish-list & File Systems

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:11:39 CDT

Hmmm, I think I'll chime in on this one...

I think this discussion is covering some really cool ideas. But I don't
think it's too important, certainly not for OBv1.0.

Think about natively compressed/encrypted disks: What is the benefit?
For the compression, you save disk space. I've seen this implemented
for small embedded devices. But for a desktop OS, this is of little
concern -- hard disks are becoming as cheap as they are huge. Then you
have encryption. This is a security feature that some would like to
have. But then again, how many desktop OS's come out with support for
native file system encryption? Is this an item badly needed by or
greatly requested from the BeOS user base?

Don't misunderstand. I do think this is cool and worth doing down the
road aways. And it wouldn't hurt for those designing the kernel, file
systems, etc. to keep these ideas in mind while they implement the
code. But I would hate to see the kernel development bogged down, for
example, with testing and bug chasing an encrypted boot volume. I
highly recommend that any encryption features we create should be
designed so that they could be "dropped in" (or yanked out) at any
time, and not create a fundamental dependency in the basic system.