[openbeos] Re: Networking Wish-list & File Systems

  • From: "Robert Medeiros" <robert.medeiros@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 05:22:20 -0400

> There should be plugins for different encryption methods/strengths IMHO.
> A seperate kit (server?) would work for normal applications, but if the
> filesystem during booting is to rely on a server not started yet...
> problem... :-/  Or is there a more elegant solution?

I've seen crypto done quite nicely using the translation kit (which makes a
lot of sense when you think about it), but sticking it in a CryptoKit just
sort of graces the whole thing with officialness - it's part of the OS that
way. From that perspective it's more an issue of appearances than a question
of where the code actually lives. But I see your point about boot time
troubles. Maybe separate logical encrypted volumes, like what PGPdisk does,
would be a good way to tackle this.

Rob