[openbeos] Re: Networking Wish-list & File Systems

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:13:06 EDT

Morten Fjeldstad <morfj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 18 Oct 2001 10:36:01 +0200:
> Integration of network protocols and filesystem would be nice.
> E.g. you can cd to "/net/ftp/ftp.be.com/pub/" and arrive at the
> server without using a special ftp client. Similar for SMB,
> HTTP, NFS etc... kind of like automounting, only no predefined
> directory entries are needed. (i.e.: doing an "ls" command on
> the "/net/ftp" directory does NOT display "ft.be.com" unless
> you have already been at that location.

I was thinking of doing some of that in phase 4 of my experimental
file system, along with ZIP files exposed as a file system and a
few other interesting tricks.  But right now I'm at phase 2,
making a RAM file system with hard links and most of the BeOS
functionality (got files, dirs, permissions working, currently
stuck on implementing rename and dealing with cycles).  So,
anyone else who has time should feel free to give it a shot.

I've also gone through the Practical File System Design book and
several ones with source code available and put together some
documentation on implementing a file system.  You can get the
current unfinished version (in StyledEdit text format) from:

http://home.achilles.net/~agmsmith/beos/FileSystemAPINotes20011018.zip

- Alex