[openbeos] Re: Networking : R5 or BONE

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:55:38 -0500

>This issue brings up some fundamental issues:
>
>1. Althought BeOS might not be a "pure" microkernel,
>by using servers, it is very microkernel-esque.

Agreed.

>2. Theory states that it easier to write and *debug*
>userland code.

Agreed.

>3. Theory states that good and stable userland code
>can put into the kernel once it has been proven.

Some people like that approach. I have yet to see it as true.
Nothing is stable, because engineers are tweaks. :-)
Example - IPv6 is coming. All of those stable and proven
pieces of code will change soon...

>So, it would seem to be that the server approach would be
>better.    When the userland net_server is done and well
>tested, one would move it  kernel space if one needed to
>do so at this point.

I agree. And that was the way we started this.

>However, if Travis builds a good stack in the NewOS kernel,
>and OBOS can use it, then it would seem a bit silly to
>put a lot of effort into a net_server implementation.

Agreed.

>Finally, if the folks who are writing the stacks want to do
>both irregardless of the other writer(s), then OpenBeOS
>can only benefit from having more good code available
>to use (and it would recreate the R5 and BONE codelevels).

Really, this is an issue for Travis (wrt how much he wants to do),
Jean (net team lead) and myself to work out.