[openbeos] Re: Networking : R5 or BONE

  • From: Erik Reid <reide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:53:24 -0700

Quoth "John Gabriele":
>>En réponse à John Gabriele <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>

>>Hmmm, I don't know exactly the issue there, but if I understood correctly,
>>it _is_ the Nettle Library (with some more wrapping around).
>>Just have a look at file:///boot/develop/headers/be/NetworkKit.h
>>Funny it's also on BeBits, didn't know that =)
>
>I think Be hired Howard and subsequently Nettle was morphed
>into the Net Kit.
>

>Now, as far as the OBOS's R1 networking, as I (partially) understand it:
>
>-- yes, there will be a net_server (like with BeOS R5)
>
>-- no, there won't be "BONE" per se. Although there will be more
>   kernel-mode network code than BeOS R5 had. Of course, that
>   won't affect the networking API or binary-compatibility.
>
>-- There will (of course) still be 2 ways to write network code for
>   OBOS: the sockets API and the Net Kit API.
>
>-- net_server will still be a user-mode process (as with BeOS R5)
>   however, most of the work it gets done will be delegated to
>   the kernel-mode network stack. (The BeOS R5 network stack
>   ran in user mode as part of the net_server). (???)

This is correct.  The actual network stack stuff (arp cache, routing, sockets..)
will be handled in kernel, where with R5, it was handled in userland,
by net_server.

The kernel stuff will still be modular and such as well, so if you
need to make a serious networking change, it won't require a reboot.