[openbeos] Networking : R5 or BONE

  • From: "unlyrn" <unlyrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:14:50 +1300

'llo all...
this is probably in a FAQ somewhere; if so I guess I missed it

Is the OpenBEOS (R1) Networking Kit going to be a reimplementation of the
BeOS r5 type networking stack, or rather will it be based around BONE?

Since BONE is obviously vastly superior, and largely (completely?) backwards
compatible, it seems silly to implement the (rather lacking) r5 stack when
there is the foundation for something much better.

Moreover, most of the recent networking apps I've seen on BeBits etc seem to
be based around BONE (or at least, have BONE optimisations)

One of the biggest complaints I've had from potential BeOS users is the poor
networking, BONE certainly addresses this (and more), but if there's some
reason why its Not To Be, I'd be curious to know what the story is...
unless you're actually using the BONE source code (and I'm sure thats not an
issue) I can't see any (legal) problems with it...

Thanks,
David Shipman