[openbeos] Network trouble

  • From: Erik Jaesler <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:49:27 -0700

Howdy all,

Having an interesting problem (in the way that having teeth pulled
without anaesthesia is "interesting"). Got a call the day before
yesterday from my ISP letting me know that the Windows 2000 portion of
my box was infected with msblaster. Joy. So I patched and disinfected
and all that fun, Fun, FUN stuff and all seems well on the Windows
partition. However, when I rebooted into BeOS, I suddenly have no
networking. None, zip, zero, nada. I can't even ping my LinkSys
router. I have restarted networking and rebooted like an
obsessive/compulsive, to no avail. The adapter is shown in Network
preferences and seems to be configured correctly. Just for grins, I
rebooted into an older version of Dano (prior to the introduction of the
new decorators). Couldn't get anywhere there either. Monkeyed around
with Bone and ended up causing the adapter to disappear, but after extensive poking, swearing, and rebooting, I got it working there again. Networking under Windows continues to work as well as ever.

My question is has anybody run into this problem or have any clue how I
might fix it?  It may or may not have anything to do with the blaster
worm, but that is the only thing significant that's happened to the box
recently.  As one might imagine, this puts rather a crimp in my ability
to work on OpenBeOS. =P

Thanks in advance,