[haiku] Re: Network transfer, one Haiku machine to another ?

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 17:33:51 -0300

André Braga wrote:

BONE introduced a very simple solution for this. There was a specific directory (don't remember which one) that would be scanned for any executables (that included scripts) and they would all be run whenever the network was up. We could add something like this just to get things going.

Awww. A /etc/(rc | init).d lookalike?

No, it is not.

Now, we all know how this story ends: a hundred thousand hacks to handle dependencies and conflicts between services.

Why exactly would that happen? In the case of sshd, just a link for its executable in this dir would suffice.

Instead of recreating a squeaky rusty wheel, I kindly suggest that you guys consider launchd (modern, proven, opensource) or something based on attributes and node monitoring.

What part of "We could add something like this just to get things going" didn't you understand? To get this working we would have to add like 3 likes to Netscript (or it could be added to net_server itself).

-Bruno