[haiku] Re: Network transfer, one Haiku machine to another ?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 18:31:02 +0200

Clemens zeidler schrieb:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 11:10:02 +0200, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

I would still love other networked FS solutions to be integrated as well, like the mentioned FTP FS and a CIFS client. These should all integrate into Tracker via a common infrastructure (i.e. how the user can access them).

Yes this would be cool. E.g. I like the way kio slaves works under KDE. You just tip the adresse (webdavs://, ftp:// , fish://, ...) into the konqueror and you can handle the remote files like local files!

That's certainly cool, but not what I would have in mind for the "casual user" or actually myself. For example, I know my girlfriends computer is turned on and there certainly is "some" shared folder. What I want is some "window" integrated in Tracker which shows me her computer. Then I want to double click on that icon and get another window with all her shared folders. I do this so seldomly, I don't remember the hostname of her computer, let alone the locations of shared folders. The other day, I had exactly this situation. In Ubuntu, I went to Network, was relieved to just see her computer name, double clicked it and then I found out that MacOS-X offers a folder "DropBox". I didn't even know about this before. As "advanced user", I know the protocol would probably be "afp://", but ...? This is the level of integration I would want as a baseline. The ability to type something into an address bar would be a bonus feature, not the main access to network volumes.

Best regards,
-Stephan