[openbeos] Re: Network Update

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:27:48 -0500

>> Well, in an exciting week the code now runs in kernel space, with all
>> modules being loaded at run time. The drivers are still the original
>> be ones
>> being used via the same interface as the userland stack, which does
>> mean
>> that our code can be built to run as either a userland application or
>> as the
>> kernel drivers!
>
>Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but a few queries....
>How does integration into kernelspace affect the way users have control
>over the networking modules?

It shouldn't have all that much effect.

>What I mean to say is, if there is a problem, is it still possible to
>simply 'restart' the net_server?

Per Be, the only reason that there was ever an option to do so was
that the net server sucked. :-/

>And how about stability... is it wise to move things
>into kernel space when they're still untested... even when they are tested?

Fair question. It is a weighting issue.
On one hand, it is much easier to write the network stack. And faster.
On the other hand, if the net stack crashes, the whole machine could die.

>As much as we might like to think otherwise, there are plenty of
>situations  when things break, and killing the kernel team is probably not a
>NiceThing[tm]

Very true. And this is the arguement that people make all the time for
microkernels. No matter what decision we make, someone will not like it. :-)