[openbeos] Network Team Update

  • From: "David Reid" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 21:12:24 +0100

So, it's been a while...

Basically we are almost there on the features we want for R1. We have

- ipv4
- udp
- tcp
- raw socket
- routing sockets

What we miss is PPP and the GUI to control all this power!

There is also no DHCP at present, but I don't think that will be a hard
thing to add for R1.

Why have we not released an alpha? I have considered it but we currently
have a somewhat broken select which makes using the stack difficult and
intermittent. If it wasn't for this we'd have moved forward and may even
have got much nearer an alpha.

I also have very little time at the moment to work on the code and am hoping
that someone will step up to complete the PPP work. If no-one does (actually
do the work not just say they will) then I'll start again when I have time,
but that'll be July now :(

What am I doing? I'm tackling a number of smaller things concerned with the
kernel and preparations to move the code into the new kernel. I'll also be
adding the new kernel's select code at some point (hopefully not too far
away) and working with BGA to try and make sure we have files == pipes ==
sockets == fd's, which will be cool.

So basically, there hasn't been much progress in new features, but we are
still making progress, it's just slower than it was :(

david