[haiku] Re: Need Some GSoC Advice

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 02:41:10 -0400

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM, Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have decided to go with a two pronged approach, the same one that
> the SkyOS Index Feeder uses. A database for full-text indexing, and
> filesystem attributes for files such as MP3s. I submitted my proposal
> just a few minutes ago. Thanks to everyone who took an interest :)

From what I have read in this very long thread, mimicking the SkyOS
Index Feeder is probably a good idea.

Also you may recall earlier in this thread I mentioned Army Knife in
relation to your media player idea. Well I think it might also prove
useful for mp3 attribute extraction for this project. In other words
maybe code from Army Knife could be usable in the mp3 search plugin.

> I have a question: is using an already existing library allowed?
> JonathanThompson on IRC pointed me to CLucene
> (http://clucene.wiki.sourceforge.net/). There's also Strigi, used by
> the KDE project.

Using existing and well tested code to solve a problem is always a
good idea, and certainly something that has helped Haiku up to this
point. I think there will be plenty of work for you without having to
write your own text indexer. Part of your challenge will be to
evaluate these projects and others you find to see which one best
meets the needs of this project and Haiku itself. For example I (and
others) feel WebKit is the best choice of rendering engine for a
native Haiku browser for various reasons.

> I was wondering whether porting them would even be
> possible, cosidering Haiku is using an older version of GCC.

I would see what GCC they require (hopefully their documentation says)
and if they need a newer GCC, just use the GCC4 compiler suite that
Michael Lotz got working on Haiku a few months ago
(http://www.haiku-os.org/news/2009-01-31/haiku_finally_gets_a_native_gcc4_full_story_inside).

Regards,
Ryan