[openbeos] Re: Name suggestion

  • From: "Kurtis Kopf" <kurtis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:43:52 -0700

    During the name collection, over 3000 names were submitted.  One of my
tasks as the new OBOS webmaster is to work with Deej, Daniel, and a few
other people to try and shorten the list... A rather tedious task, and as
you can imagine, it's not easy to be objective... Everyone has their
preferences.  The team leads and administrators have also been debating on
weather or not to include "Be" or keep the same sound in the OS for several
reasons.  One reason against it would be that newcomers might not want to
try or look at an operating system that they had heard failed at one point.
There is also the legality of it... Sure Be Inc. may not bother to sue us,
but Palm Inc. might.  But on the other hand, everyone loves BeOS and there
is some sentimental value with the name.  As you can see, all tough
decisions and we're only breaking the surface of the elimination process at
the moment.  Once the names have been narrowed down though, there will be a
voting page up on the website with between 20 and at most 50 names on it.
Thanks for the inquiry...

    -Kurtis