[openbeos] Re: Name suggestion

  • From: John Tegen <john.tegen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:56:04 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred K Ollinger [ mailto:follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 9:45 AM
To: 'openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [openbeos] Re: Name suggestion

> Take for a moment, that they want to enter the desktop market again.  They
> would take minimally a couple of years to polish off their BeOS.  They
might

Why? Dano works great right now.

Network was still not 100%.  OpenGL was far from complete.  Missing drivers.
Dano was very close, but 2-3 years from now it will not seem so greate as
compared to WindowOS and AppleOS.  The advantages that BeOS/Dano had a year
ago and partially today will seem less advance in 2-3 years when mainstream
OS's incorporate similar features.  Just look at the effort Apple is doing
in the areas of digital media.

There are companies willing to do all the work to put out a distro, all
they have to do is license the os. They don't have to give up source or
any rights. They basically sign a few papers, ftp some files and people
will be pushing this os. Yellow Tab in Germany, for example.

> see OBOS (or what ever name it is in 2-3 years), as a competitor and
either
> will wish to adopt or destroy.  Who can tell which.  Like most products,
> there has to be a consumer demand or market potential.  The majority of

Actually, demand for most products is _created_, it's not pre-existing. In
the US, we have had all our physical needs met about 100 years ago. If
they wait for demand, it will never come.

> regular consumers don't even know what an operating system is let alone
that
> others might exist.  That will be up to the distro's to inform and market
> their customers.  And unless alternative OS's can seamlessly interoperate
> with MS products, it will have limited consumer draw.  But a 0.5% market
is
> still very large!

If it's installed on all oem desktops then consumers will know about this.
Be tried this all ready. They could do is again. It would cost them
nothing.

That is assuming MS allows OEM to do this.  Only the Courts will determine
the outcome of this.  Additionally, larger OEM need to see a real ROI for
them to do this.  Certaintly shops like FrizBe can do this, but until you
can get onto the Dell's, Sony's, and others you will be limited in scope
(but maybe that is good enouph).

> So basically, don't worry about Palm/Be until they actually and publicly
> announce something.  Get a good name for the OS to limit your exposure.
Be

I would take the above to mean one should stay away from Be name
completely.

Call it anything but Be, but also add, formerly known as openbeos, that
way you still capitalize on their name (which is why people want to put Be
in the name, and this is illegal), but you won't be sued b/c if they send
a cease and desist letter, you drop the latter part of the name, but you
still have a name that's not legally dangerous to you. You won't get sued
as 'formerly known as openbeos' is just a comment, not a name. :)

I would.  But saying "compatible with BeOS" could be OK.

Fred