[openbeos] Name, Compatibility

  • From: Mathew Hounsell <mat.geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:45:07 -0700 (PDT)

Open Source Projects need Happy, Zealous workers. So try not to be
discouraging and if you think someone is of on a tangent try and think of a
way for them to achieve a middle ground.

Firstly, Name.
    A good name is difficult. It will also probablely come in an unexpected
flash. In the mean time, we use a code name.
    BeOS was BuzzwordEnabledOperatingSystem

    So my suggestion is BuzzOS or OpenBuzzOS

    Or YAOSOS BTOIBOBNU ;)
        Yet Another Open Source Operating System. But This One Is Based On
BeOS Not Unix.
        Prounounced - YASS-OS TOY-BOB-NU

Sencondly
    If Microsoft has acknowledged the need for interoperability so should
we. The FAT FS is only still around because most operating systems support
it.
    So don't squash ideas of NFS drivers, X adaptors, and QT libraries. It
is not the projects primary concern, but they are still important for end
users, and code & platform testing.
    And don't ignore the possibility of porting the code.

    Applications are vital to an OSes success. All I run on BeOS is the
development kit.

    On a QT port, don't implement the fancy features. Determine the absolute
minimal support required from the OS. This should be basic of the App/GUI
Kit. Write to this, develop you testing on top. This will give the App/GUI
Kit team a set of requirements.

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite Australia
 Visit http://inbox.excite.com.au/