[openbeos] Re: NTFS Read-Only for 1st non-beta release?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:59:27 -0500

>> >Considering at least R1 will have the R5 kernel, then you can still use
>> >the R5 ones.
>> >
>> >-Bruno
>>

>Errr ... since when were we planning on using the R5 kernel with R1?  The
>goal is to make a complete replica of BeOS R5 in an open-source environment
>by R1 ... I haven't heard that we were going to be booting from the orignal
>R5 kernel.  Of course for awhile we're going to be replacing each component
>piece-by-piece without using our new kernel, but whatever we call golden
>master should not have any code from R5.
>

>> This is not quite correct. Everything PRIOR to R1 uses the R5 kernel. I.e.
>all of the beta releases. R1 == new kernel.
>>

>This makes it sound like the kernel is going to skip past the beta releases,
>which I hope isn't the case =)

DOH!

Of course not. :-) What I wanted to say was that the beta releases would work
with
the R5 kernel (and not necessarily all of them). I forsee something like what
happened with BONE -
betas of new kernels coming out, bundled with the pieces that are inextricably
tied to it. BONE came
with BoneYard, for example, and should have come with a new printing kit. Our
kernel might
well come with a new IK, since the old IK was joined unnaturally to the old
kernel.