[openbeos] Re: My impressions of FalterCon

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:35:12 +0200

Am 17.08.2007 um 18:42 schrieb Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki):

I think it is quite common for the foundation/non-profit supporting any given project to support community initiatives leading to the project's presence at open source events (like FC did) by providing material such as hand out CDs, T-shirts for the staff, leaflets, banners/signs, etc.. That's the sort of support that would be nice to have.

This is a nice idea doesn't come cheap and Haiku, Inc. doesn't have a lot to throw around. The reason for Waltercon being cancelled was *not* wishing to put funds down the pan. Given a reasonable timeframe, enough enthusiasm there's nothing to stop groups doing the work themselves. I've just come from the local Zope user group which is sponsoring the Grok presentation at next week's FrOSCon. Three or four people have got together to produce a flyer and a cardboard cutout for the event and arranged the sponsoring of one of the developers. DZUG e.V. isn't having to contribute a penny.

A small "trade show box" with the above items and a maybe even a small (ITX-form factor?) demo computer with Haiku pre-installed that can be shipped to the trusted members who organize their own events or the Haiku presence at local open source events would be a good thing to consider for the future.

Haha, I remember Guillaume Calmon and Hans Speijer turning up at the very first BeGeistert with a computer case. We've managed pretty well without since then. BeFAN e.V. even has its very own BeFrankenstein! Hardware is now relatively cheap and becomes outdated so quickly that I don't think this is merited. Most people will have notebooks with with they can demonstrate. But ownership, transport and insurance would also have to be considered. Personally I would prefer to see any money I put into Haiku go towards development 10% might be earmarked for marketing. But I think we're talking about 10% of SFA at the moment. I understand that at BeGeistert 018 there is likely to be some representation and maybe even something to see and touch but it's one of the things we charge an admission fee: we have in the past sponsored developers to attend.

A little give-and-take goes a long way.

I don't see the relevance of this remark in the context of distribution of Haiku, Inc. funds.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20