[haiku] Re: My May Spectrum magazine arrived today...

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 19:32:58 +0200

Hi Ryan!

On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:03:14 -0400 Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Maybe a few details like relesdates could be discussed the
> > next time?
>
> I think such a discussion would become a bikeshed thread from hell.

I doubt it. I'd imagine most would have agreed that no fixed dates are
better than fantasy ones.

> We
> are not Microsoft or Apple and I don't think we will be held to any
> of
> my estimates for the beta and final R1 release.

"Being held to" can mean different things. In a month some people might
quote the article, looking for Alpha4, some months later for Beta1.
We'll do that a few times and we're Duke Haiku Forever. At least we
don't have precious shareholders breathing down our necks... :)
Anyway, the cat's dead.

> Though I think if we
> go much past my estimates, Haiku becomes less and less relevant. So
> maybe we can use those as a rough guideline. I really think we need
> get R1 out as soon as possible, and become less perfectionists.

I understand what you mean. But wishful thinking won't get us nearer
Beta/R1. I doubt setting dates will motivate anyone to work on the
beta-stopper (= package management). Haiku Inc. has ten thousands of
dollars in the bank desperately waiting for a dev and it's not working
up to now. Nevertheless, I think a contract for package management is
the only way it will be done. I imagine for most of the devs PM isn't
essential for how they want to use Haiku. To deal with such a complex
system and to bring it to the expected polished state might just be
beyond what anyone could motivate himself to do for fun...

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
        http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com