[openbeos] Re: Multiprocessing,Mutithreading - Linux vs Openbeos

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:19:49 -0500

This walks the quasi-off topic line, but I think that the orignial poster does
deserve a response. :-)

In general, scientific applications are batch applications. They start up, are
CPU bound, run for hours and are often times easily divided up into multiple
processes (SETI at home exemplifies all of this).

This is, traditionally, what server OS's are good at. They emphasize throughput
(more CPU time spent on processing) over reponsiveness (less human time spent
waiting for a prompt). This is a tradeoff - there are better and worse
implementations, but, overall, it is a tradeoff.

Batch processes, generally, belong on servers.

Additionally, supporting scientific computing is non-trivial. Much of it is
still written in Fortran. Yes, Fortran. Many Fortran compilers are still more
efficient at generating code (esp math code) than C/C++ compilers.
Additionally, a lot of older scientists learned it years back. Scientific
computing needs a great deal of other support, as well. Numeric stuff, etc.
While BeOS/OBOS *COULD* be modified to support it, it would be a major
undertaking.

Sorry if that disappoints you. :-/