[openbeos] Re: Multiprocessing,Mutithreading - Linux vs Openbeos

  • From: "Eric MARTIN" <zappa333@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:28:56 -0600

bulk.fefe.de
Good link but it's just for the unix os. Linux 2.6 looking good.

The Be docs said it supported around 4 processors.

Anyways if APPLE had bought Be then there would be no argument because the Virginia Tech computer would be running the Be operating system.

Any of you want to bet on that ?

From: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: Multiprocessing,Mutithreading - Linux vs Openbeos
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:47:57 +0100

Wit linux's (v2.6 of course) current SMP / multithreading, i hardly think beos has an advantage ... see what SGI does with linux (256+ cpu systems), look at recent scalability benchmarks. (bulk.fefe.de/scalability)

I think the big point where beos can score is the desktop market, eating less resources then WinXP, with similar features, etc.

Eike.

Eric MARTIN wrote:

I have a question about openbeos.

Is it possible that openbeos would be better than linux at clustering because of pervasive multhreading and strong SMP(symetrical multiprocessing) ?

Could it be a contender for supercomputing clusters in the future ?

I am thinking this OS would be great for scientific supercomputers because of this advantage.

Look at the Viginia Tech supercomputer. it uses mac os x.

http://www.chaosmint.com/mac/vt-supercomputer/

MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search... http://shopping.msn.com

.

Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games