[openbeos] Re: Multiprocessing,Mutithreading - Linux vs Openbeos

  • From: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:47:57 +0100

Wit linux's (v2.6 of course) current SMP / multithreading, i hardly think beos has an advantage ... see what SGI does with linux (256+ cpu systems), look at recent scalability benchmarks. (bulk.fefe.de/scalability)

I think the big point where beos can score is the desktop market, eating less resources then WinXP, with similar features, etc.

Eike.

Eric MARTIN wrote:

I have a question about openbeos.

Is it possible that openbeos would be better than linux at clustering because of pervasive multhreading and strong SMP(symetrical multiprocessing) ?

Could it be a contender for supercomputing clusters in the future ?

I am thinking this OS would be great for scientific supercomputers because of this advantage.

Look at the Viginia Tech supercomputer. it uses mac os x.

http://www.chaosmint.com/mac/vt-supercomputer/

MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search... http://shopping.msn.com

.