[haiku] Re: More Geolocation testing, this time with something prettier

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:19:57 -0400

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> It worked great, but I still have a comment. :-) Maybe it would be better
> not to display the "It looks like you are located in or near XXX" sentence.
> It told me a city I never heard of before. While I am certainly near that
> town, it's just a little irritation. The download links are correctly
> sorted by distance, that's all that matters.

Additionally, I have the following problem with my Hughes satellite
internet at work.  It basically comes up empty for the city anyways,
so the output makes no sense.  For example, here is what it says from
work here:

It looks like you are located in or near , , United States. The
download locations have been sorted by distance to your location. The
highlighted top location is your best choice to download from.

I believe from your previous page's latitude/longitude, it locked onto
somewhere in Kansas, but has no idea what the city is called, so
leaves it blank.

It does tell me the nearest mirror is 158 miles away though, which in
this case is completely wrong, since I'm in western Pennsylvania and
over 900 miles away.  That is all due to the nature of the satellite
internet though, I'm guessing.

Actually, I decided to just check with my T-Mobile cell phone, and it
displays the same output.  I have verified it is using Edge and has
its own T-Mobile IP (instead of hopping onto my work's wireless
connection).  So yeah, maybe if the geolocation has no clue, it just
guesses central United States?

In any case, I think eliminating the city part would take care of the
situation well enough for practical purposes.

- joe