[haiku] Re: Mona os -irrelevant-

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:52:32 +0100

Michael Phipps schrieb:
Building an operating system isn't like making paella - you can't just throw in leftovers and hope to make a nice meal. Well, you can try - it is called Linux. :-) Seriously - there are a ton of little OS projects out there. Syllable is one, Mona seems to be another, Minix, Minuet, MikeOS, etc. OSNews exists to talk about these. Let me try the cooking metaphor a different way - once the paella is in the oven and 3/4 cooked, you can't suddenly decide to throw raw meat in. Even if the meat is really good, you will have a disaster. Your only option is to finish cooking and "live with" what you have.

Hm. I don't think these metaphors hold very well. I do believe it makes sense to look at what others did - to learn from it, but also to re-use code if possible and where it makes sense. The point is really what mmadia already said: We all have plenty enough on our plates. Many of us already feel they have way too little time to spend on Haiku to help move it forward in a significant way. So these well-meant suggestions what to look into don't really have an encouraging effect.

Best regards,
-Stephan