[openbeos] Re: Misc. problems building Haiku on Linux

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:34:47 +0100

On 2005-11-13 at 17:42:03 [+0100], Vegard Wærp wrote:
> After I posted a small guide for builing Haiku under Linux at my blog
> yesterday [1] there has come some reports about people having problems
> building Haiku and/or the cross compiler under miscellaneous Linux distros.
>
> I thought I'd forward the reports to the list in case someone here knows
> why it happens/how to fix it. (The more versions of Linux Haiku builds
> on, the more potential developers :))
>
> Sorry for the limited info regarding which revision they where trying to
> build, which version of their distro they were using etc, but this all
> the info that I've got myself. Hopefully someone gets something useful
> out of it.

Yep, thanks for reporting this.

> Some are having problems building the cross tools, with the build
> failing with:
>
> from /home/kane/haiku-src/buildtools/binutils/gas/app.c:30:
> /home/kane/haiku-src/buildtools/binutils/gas/config/tc-i386.h:451:
> error: array type has incomplete element type
[...]
> This one has been reported both on Ubuntu and Fedora. Don't know which
> versions though.

The Linux distro isn't that interesting. I expect most problems depending on
the compiler version. I've tested things with the older gcc 3.3.4. The 3.4.*
series is stricter and the the 4.0.* series even more so. In this case I
suspect gcc 4 has been used. Maybe we can update our gas/binutils. Oliver,
are you listening? Would you deem that unwise?

> Someone also reported the build of Haiku itself failing with the message
> pasted here:
>
> <http://rafb.net/paste/results/9KLkyC15.txt>
>
> This one has been reported on Ubuntu Breezy and Gentoo

Should be fixed since revision 14878 (yesterday night :-).

CU, Ingo