[openbeos] Re: Milestone Prize

  • From: Pascal Goguey <pascal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:20:39 +0900

Hello!

I think this is a stupid prize, which could cause a rupture in the
already broken BeOS community. We don't want ppl acting on
his own hoping to win a prize all coding on the same. We want
a team. I know that I'm talking as a bystander, but this shouldn't
be the meaning of the prize.

greetings Syrek

I don't think a prize is a bad idea by itself. But as somebody already
wrote it (well, to summarize a few replies), first the prize is not that
high (high enough for a prize from a single person, thanks Zenja!)
and maybe not that motivating for most of the developers,
(I think it would carry more of a symbolic value like "I or we made it").
Second, as Axel said, it would not be that fair to give to one person
a prize that represents the work of tens of developers.

Well, that said, I have another idea:
I don't know the current status of OBOS as an organization, but
if it could have more or less a non-profit org structure,
I would simply give 50 Euros to OBOS prior to any release
(i.e. now) in order to give the org some resources that would
speed up the development.
If it fails, I will loose 50 Euros and it will not harm my life
style, as it is the case, I guess, for most of us.
The accounting would be public, and the administrator would
use the money to allocate resources, provide PCs to active
developers, provide USB / Firewire peripherals to driver
developers and whatever he feels necessary.
As there were 20 000 developers at one point in time for
BeOS, if we assume that 1000 remain and would pay
(Am I too optimistic???(1)) this would be 50 000 Euros, which
can be certainly useful. Don't ask me how, let the administrator(s)
decide.

(1) In fact, I don't think I am too optimistic. Here (in Japan), there
were a few Be conferences organized by Be geeks. They were
renting the conference room themselves, etc... Entrance fee
was about 10 Euros, and there were about 200 participants
each time. I think many of these people would be very happy to
a Be (Walter??) second birth.
One company has even recreated a BeBox. With a Pentium,
but the same look, with the LED bars for the CPU load meters.
Here is the home page of these guys with a (still active!!!) forum.
http://www.be-in.org/

Pascal