[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:28:30 -0700

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Most of the time you'd get a local ip like 192.168.*.*, not really useful :)
>
> You could call a "get my IP/geolocation" web-service on the internet
> (if there is an internet connection) and that would return the real IP
> and a decent estimation of the country. Either way just like on the
> Haiku download page it is just a guess that hopefully is right, but we
> can't depend on it and should make it easy to override. But I think it
> would be a neat idea.
>
> I also think this technique could be used for the time zone, and I
> believe some of those geolocation web-services will include that too.
> Again it is just a guess but hopefully it is right more often than it
> is wrong (something worth testing ;)

This is overengineering IMO...

At least at work, geolocation is off by a couple thousand miles due to
virtual circuits being used for our point-of-presence... putting me in
a different timezone entirely.

Maybe have a button on a configuration screen somewhere to "guess
location" - but otherwise assuming it automatically with an override
is the wrong solution I think.

- Urias