[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 16:33:44 -0400

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most of the time you'd get a local ip like 192.168.*.*, not really useful :)

You could call a "get my IP/geolocation" web-service on the internet
(if there is an internet connection) and that would return the real IP
and a decent estimation of the country. Either way just like on the
Haiku download page it is just a guess that hopefully is right, but we
can't depend on it and should make it easy to override. But I think it
would be a neat idea.

I also think this technique could be used for the time zone, and I
believe some of those geolocation web-services will include that too.
Again it is just a guess but hopefully it is right more often than it
is wrong (something worth testing ;)

--
Regards,
Ryan