[haiku] Re: Midi devices in Haiku

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:59:09 -0800

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 02:47:34PM +0100, Giovanni Mugnai wrote:
> 2012/12/9  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Mine looks the same, but I guess that's no guarantee that it will *work*
> > the same. (:-/)  If it's "Standard Compliant", though, it should just plug
> > in and work.
>
> I've read also about the latency of HDA driver (about 10-12 ms), using
> auich drivers the latency can be set via the auich.settings config
> file, there is something similar for the HDA driver?
Yes... in my hacked version!  I added a similar settings capability
to the HDA driver, but it hasn't been accepted for the trunk yet.
(I think Axel would like it put in the Media Prefs, but I haven't got
time for that at the moment, and the settings file works fine for me...)

> I have also
> another audio card, a Phase 22 by Terratec, which uses standard midi
> connectors, but works only (and partially) using OSS driver.
> Could you give some suggestion for a similar audio card which works
> good in Haiku? I can also buy an ESI Maya44..
I'm afraid I don't have much idea.  I think the Soundblaster cards work,
but I've never had one on a Haiku box.  I've never had much success
with OSS; on one old machine it would work *sometimes*, but it also
invariably KDLd if I tried USB too!  I never pursued it.

You might look at the Haikuware hardware database to know what
has been found to work.

[I know the audio interface I *want* to work -- the (USB) Behringer UCA202
which I picked up for a few bucks in a thrift store(!).  It works beautifully
under Linux, but Haiku doesn't recognize it yet.]

        -- Pete --