[openbeos] Re: Mesa - OpenGL

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 23:26:14 -0800

>> The biggest issue is drivers.
>
>Of course, that's why I am suggesting using the existing drivers for
>Mesa 3d.

And why I always check this sort of suggestions out. =)

>> There looks to be a fair amount more to incorporating DRI than just
implementing
>> an API in app=5Fserver. First off, you would need to use Linux
drivers. Ugh.
>> Secondly, there is kernel level support. Not to mention the shared
memory area.

>Portability to allow implementations on other operating systems and
>system architectures
>..."

Apparently, DRI's idea of "portability" at this time means a Unix-like
system with XFree86 installed.  Doesn't really fit the same description
as app_server. =(

>Doesn't sound that bad.
>Having DRI (or something very similar) in the app=5Fserver would ease
the
>porting issues - at least you could port drivers, you wouldn't have to
>write them from the start.
>
>And Mesa is a good OpenGL implementation - "incorporating" it could
>save some developer lives.

Could not agree with you more there.  I think there is little doubt that
whatever OpenGL functionality OBOS eventually provides will start with
MESA.  And we can leverage what (open source) 3D drivers DRI has in
creating our own.

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams