[haiku] Re: Menu font and Appearance panel

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:36:19 +0200

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
Now, I was wondering what's so special about the menu font, that it's the
only one settable from the Fonts panel besides the general plain, bold,
fixed?
If this setting wasn't removed altogether (I wouldn't mind at all), it would
fit better into the Appearance panel. After all every color setting for a
"... text" object could also have its font+size set.

This makes some sense, though I don't know if the font and size are
adjustable on other controls. In other words they may not have
settings outside the code.

If that's so, I find it even more wrong to give the menu font a special treatment. I'd vote to remove it until a full blown theme manager is here. The following could be treated likewise:

How about having the Apearance
panel show a representation of a window with all available widgets. Below
this window-dummy it states the name of the clicked on object, and you have
all the other stuff like font/size/text-color/background-color. All changing
(at least in the windows-dummy) in realtime.

You have described exactly how the Microsoft Windows Advanced
Appearance window on the Display control panel works.

Not exactly, at least what I remember from when I still used XP, though I did't play with the defaults there either... You still had to look for the object you'd like to alter in a list.

It isn't a bad
idea, but I personally hate just copying something exactly, unless
there is no better option.

The window-dummy is needed as long as the system doesn't do all changes on the fly. If that were possible, here's a better idea:

Besides a line to describe the active object and a color/font/size picker, the panel sports a button with a crosshair symbol. Clicking it changes the cursor to a crosshair so you can aim at any object of any visible window. Hovering over one has its name/function as well as its properties (font/size/colors) displayed in the Appearance panel. Clicking on the object enters edit mode, i.e. changes in the Appearance panel appear in realtime for that object in the system. "Revert" to undo to the state before opening the panel, "Defaults" to set the (already perfect :) ) Haiku defaults.

If someone was inclined to work on that (after alpha/R1 :) ), great! My original intend, however, was to get the Menu preflet removed and, possibly, the menu font setting from the Fonts panel. If everybody concurs, that is.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de