[haiku] Re: Menu font and Appearance panel

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 16:52:44 -0400

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As you may know, the font setting for menus was moved from the Menu
> preference panel to the Fonts panel.
>
> Now, I was wondering what's so special about the menu font, that it's the
> only one settable from the Fonts panel besides the general plain, bold,
> fixed?
> If this setting wasn't removed altogether (I wouldn't mind at all), it would
> fit better into the Appearance panel. After all every color setting for a
> "... text" object could also have its font+size set.

This makes some sense, though I don't know if the font and size are
adjustable on other controls. In other words they may not have
settings outside the code.

> Personally, I'd never use the Color tab of the Appearance panel. Besides
> being satisfied with Haiku's default looks, I hate looking through lists of
> objects, trying to figure out what's what.

I agree with that.

> How about having the Apearance
> panel show a representation of a window with all available widgets. Below
> this window-dummy it states the name of the clicked on object, and you have
> all the other stuff like font/size/text-color/background-color. All changing
> (at least in the windows-dummy) in realtime.

You have described exactly how the Microsoft Windows Advanced
Appearance window on the Display control panel works. It isn't a bad
idea, but I personally hate just copying something exactly, unless
there is no better option.

Regards,
Ryan