[openbeos] Re: MeV. Abandonware or Showcase BeOS/Haiku native midi sequencer?

  • From: Al Elias <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:15:26 +0000

Hi Dane,
thanks for that. I do have a screendump which may help. I would have to mail it you thouh as I have nowhere to host it.

Al
Hi Al,

I'll post something on lebuzz about that, in case that helps to draw in any potential interested parties.

Dane Scott

--

Al Elias wrote:
Hi,
considered posting this to openbeos-midi but the list looks totally deserted. Forgive me for posting here instead but I have this great urge to say something important ;o)

I had MeV up and running in Haiku today. Considering this midi sequencer has languished on sourceforge untouched for over 5 years, I have to say:

a)  What  a  potentially  fantastic piece of software this is and
b) I was absolutely GOBSMACKED! that MeV fired-up on Haiku without too many issues.

This leads me to state the obvious really. What a waste!

Would anyone be willing to help me resurrect this project? I'm not a coder but have had a fair amount of experience with the interface kit. Fact is, the MeV interface is really quite advanced/mature so my (limited) skill would be of little use here.

I would be prepared to help steer any future development/progress on MeV, write documention and other such stuff if we could garner any devs to help bring the project from 'also ran' status to 'showcase' midi sequencer for Haiku (I helped Alpha test MeV back in 2001 for Christoper Lenz and the MeV team).

Today, I was using the GM version of Fluid3 (sf2) softsynth which weighs-in at a massive 142 Mb. The system was struggling but most everything seems to be functional. I am delighted.

Any thoughts, takers?