[haiku] Re: Master thesis about Haiku OS

  • From: Vasco Costa <vasco.costa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 21:52:24 +0100

On 07/06/2010 07:38 PM, Miroslav Stimac wrote:
Hello Vasco,

Ok, I added the top 10 linux distributions from the list of the website that
you told me.

I think that there will be no serious falsification of the results of the already sent
answers because I will contact some of the affected people by e-mail (those that entered
their e-mail address and had selected the answer "Linux (some other)") and then
I will manually change the the Linux distribution name for these small number of cases.
The rest can be interpolated by using some statistical and mathematical methods.

Thanks for your tips!

Oh I'm glad that you did take my tip into consideration. I agree with you when you say it's not that relevant which Linux distro is used since the survey is about BeOS.

However it is also true that different Linux distros may have extremely different usage patterns. As an example take into account someone who uses Ubuntu and someone else who uses Gentoo, though it's still Linux, Gentoo requires a much more advanced user. I'm not sure but probably it could be useful for your research to understand what sort of Linux user (beginner, intermediate, advanced...) is interested in Haiku/BeOS.

Having said that, being someone who already did some research in the IT field in the past, I find that the 'best' questions are those involving priorities/rankings. Question #15 is a particularly good example as it really made me think why do I use Haiku.

I hope to hear about the survey results in the future! :D

--
Vasco Costa