[haiku] Re: Man

  • From: Euan Kirkhope <euan.kirkhope@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 01:05:39 +0200

My pet hate in command line tools is that every OS is different, I
have no time for any of that.   I prefer to use a GUI tool to setup my
stuff.

I under stand where linux people come from entirely, only last week I
spent hours trawling google trying to understand why my Ubuntu
development VM image at work screwed up it's networking.  Seems that
the GUI tools, and the conf files were not talking to each other
anymore, /etc/network/interfaces etc Google instructed me to run a
load of command line tools to fix it, and nothing fixed it.  I gave up
because I'm either stupid, or I've got work to do.  Now my VM image
doesn't connect to the outside world, only host connections...  meh

In my opinion a monumental fail.  Never had that problem or anything
remotely similar with windows and it's awkward network setup tools in
15 odd years.

 > What are examples for using ifconfig?, How do you use dd? How to you use
 > installoptionalpackage?  For command line applications, using man is way

I hope and prey that such tools are not required.  I really hope that
all the gui configs in Haiku are not wrappers around command line
tools, and instead directly use well defined and stable APIs to do
their work.

anyway shouldn't --help should provide enough info for a command line tool?

 > While Haiku is designed to present the end user with a pretty and
 > functional UI, you can't ignore that it is compiled with GCC and offers the
 > powerful bash shell environment.

I have no problem with people wanting command line tools for whatever
purpose they want them.  I just hope haiku doesn't turn into another
linux clone and focuses on the target user first and foremost.

Just my 2 cents.